What type of shower would be the most cost efficient?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Money savers,

Our bathroom needs a shower. What type of shower would be the most cost efficient in the long run? We live in the UK.

We have a combi boiler that runs on gas and was installed about a year ago. We also have a box for an electric shower already fitted to the wall, as depicted in the link. We also have separate hot and cold taps on the bath.

Pictures of our bathroom with details of the inside of the electric box are here: http://imgur.com/a/tsDYO#0

I know that there are eco-friendly shower heads that will reduce the water flow and keep running costs down while still giving a good shower. Would it be possible to put an eco head on a mixer shower? Would that be our best bet?

Would be most grateful for any advice on whether to get a mixer type shower, or an electric one, principally with regard to the running costs.

Sponsored Links
The cheapest shower is a short one regardless of how the water is heated.

A three minute shower is adequate for hygiene!

Water heated by a gas boiler is cheaper than electricity!

Tony

Thermostatic mixer, fitted with a 6-lpm flow restrictor, a non-concussive in-line valve, hose terminating with something like a Mira Eco showehead.

It'll look awful, but it'll be economical.

gas hot water is about a third of the price of electric hot water, and you can't fit restrictors on electric showers (not that you would want to).

Sponsored Links
I do prefer bar type mixers.

Forget the non-concussive valve as an add-on. Grohe do a bar shower with an integral one:
http://www.grohe.com/uk/5636/search/search-result/product-details/?product=36245-G043&color=001

Just need a flow restrictor now:
D-FR1135.jpg

Electric showers tend to be useless in my experience so I would avoid. :(

My suggestion would be remove the hot and cold taps and fit a thermostatic bar-type bath/shower mixer with a flexible hose in their place. Add a shower head plus rail above the taps and there you are- nice power showers from your combi-boiler.

Not expensive too if you do a little internet searching. ebay can provide bargains too, but don't buy used items.

You need to watch the 'eco' shower heads or flow reducers though as the flow may reduce to below that for even/continual firing of the boler and the shower may run alternately hot and cold. Check out the minimum flow rate of your boiler in the instruction manual. You will find one online if you don't have one.

:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back