What type of stone is this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to lay a fire hearth. I've just visited a friends house and seen some stone that looks really good. Unfortunately, they didn't know what it was. Can anyone identify it for me?

Thanks,

James

Here are the photos:

Screen-Shot-2015-11-15-at-20.49.45.png

Screen-Shot-2015-11-15-at-20.49.54.png

Thanks,

James

Sponsored Links
Yes, that would be my guess too but I would have expected slate to be really dark. This was light / mid grey.

The colour can depend on where it comes from and how old and dense it is.....it's a good choice for a hearth but it does mark with grease splashes, wine dribbles (not just Chablis :eek:) and candle wax, as I've found!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Yes it looks like blue slate to me too, slate usually comes in what they call blue or green. Do you have any quarries locally?

Looks like slate to me but it could also be something like a fine-grained muddy limestone... hard to tell without seeing it in person.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back