What Type of Tap Washer is This?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace this washer, but don't know what it's called?

My ruler says it's 11mm, but has it been squashed and I need 10mm?

I'm shielding, so have to order it online.

Thanks

$_57.JPG

Sponsored Links
1. That's not what is normally known as a tap washer.
2. What you have is a 1/4 turn tap cartridge.
3. It is normal to replace the whole cartridge. Do this you will need to:
3a. Know the exact make and model of the tap. OR
3b. Make various measurements of width, depth, number of splines and order appropriately. OR
3c. If you are lucky a tap reviver kit may fit, but you will still need to measure.
4. You can sometimes get just the red silicone rubber washer on Ebay. Measure:
4a. The inside diameter of the outer brass end. AND
4b. The outside diameter of the smaller, interior brass ring.
4c. The thickness of the washer.
4d. The above measurements are best done with a vernier caliper, unless your eyesight is very good at working out fractions of a millimetre.

Exactly as above,(y) or fit a new set of taps often the simplest way out.

Thanks for the advice. But the taps are expensive, and the washer is a bit of ****ty rubber - it's going to fail sooner or later. And so are the other three taps in the bathroom. It's just a gravy train for these businesses.

Will see if I can get the cartridge.

Sponsored Links
You might be lucky getting a replacement seal, but as well as the resilience of the seal material the thickness of that seal is critical. Too thick and it will exert excessive pressure on the ceramic discs: too thin and it won't exert enough pressure to seal the cartridge base to the tap body.
We have standard sizes/threads for many plumbing fittings; unfortunately not for tap cartridges.

My wife phoned up and complained and they've sent me a new cartridge. How do I separate the cartridge from the tap? There's a disc inserted at the top - do I prise this off? If it is prise off - what's the best method without wrecking the disc?

Undo the clip around the spindle the unit will twist out.(y)

Do you mean I don't need a screw driver? I've tried three and they're all slipping, worried the head is going to wear. I'm also always cautious about forcing things.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back