What type of TRV is this, and what electronic or smart replacement can I use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20240117_164827.jpg20240117_164657.jpg20240117_164712.jpg20240117_164724.jpg20240117_164827.jpg I have these in 4 rooms in the house. Is this an RA fitting? Can I use Hive or Wiser heads with these valves.

Sponsored Links
I thinking back had adaptors with my eQ-3 heads. So next step is tomorrow find one out and try it.

I want to be able to control the 4 rooms in the flat without going outside and going down to the flat, as daughter has left heating on a good few times, and also need a second thermostat up stairs.

So it is now a case of working out how.

What about a Hive/Nest/other internet or WiFi thermostat to link to your phone/device?

Sponsored Links
This is the debate, Nest I already have, load of rubbish as does not link to TRV heads, so I have Energenie, eQ-3, and Kasa heads, non seem to link to any wireless wall thermostat.

It seems therefore I have to select a fourth make, but not what I want to do, hense the questions.

I made a mistake getting Nest, I don't want to repeat the error, so thoughts are:-
1) Wiser single channel in main living room, and just use TRV's in flat with the old mechanical thermostat.
2) Wiser three channel, and have both new thermostat in flat and living room.
3) Some cheaper single channel thermostat like Hive.

Or some thing not yet considered. The Wiser TRV head is around £56 each, but Kasa are half the price. Plus an extra £35 for the single channel wall thermostat, a lot more for three channel, and flat rarely used in winter, this year is first time since we moved here.

So we are looking at around £60 for cheapest option, and £450 for Wiser three channel and 4 of there TRV heads.

Does the house and flat share the same boiler? If they have their own boiler then you will need two Wiser hubs but if they share a boiler then the wiser single channel or 2 channel hub should work. There may be an issue with distances between TRV's and hub but you can get a Wiser smart plug that also acts as a zigbee extender.

The Wiser TRVs come with the Danfoss adapter.
I binned mine as we have Drayton valves.

Can the Kasa TRVs trigger the boiler like Wiser, Tado and Evo can?
They look more like programmable TRVs. A slightly more advanced version of your EQ-3

Thank you @CBW needs some careful reading.
@mcprinter it is a little unclear with Kasa and Tapo both part of the TP-Link, there was a Tapo wall thermostat, but can't find any for sale.

The TRV was got to replace a broken Energenie as it can be manually set, where the Energenie gives very little manual control, and the Kasa was cheap, and I use the hubs as double as door bells.

I have seen some good but cheap wall thermostats, but I need a wireless wall thermostat as boiler in flat, and need thermostat in main house.

I had delayed to see age cymru first in case they had some ideas I had not considered, but he agreed second thermostat in main living room a good idea.

If I use a thermostat which can link to TRV, then I could put the linked into wife's bedroom, and put the eQ-3 in the flat. Cheap optio seems to be Hive, but not sure if I would need a second zigbee hub, if my existing one will work great, but if not then not much between Hive and Wiser, and Wiser is clearly the better product.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Seems Tado have a bit of a sale on? Basic smart trvs? https://uk.shop.tado.com/. Or leave existing trv’s and just have wireless/internet control?

Last edited:
Does the flat have it's own thermostat?
How does your daughter 'leave the heating on'?
Do you have separate boilers for the house and flat?

If the flat has it's own thermostat, you could possibly move the Nest in there to give you remote control.
This is assuming the flat radiators only heat when the flat thermostat is calling for heat.

I don't know much about Nest to be honest.
You would probably need to take it out of auto-learning mode to work how you want.

Thank you @CBW needs some careful reading.
@mcprinter it is a little unclear with Kasa and Tapo both part of the TP-Link, there was a Tapo wall thermostat, but can't find any for sale.

The TRV was got to replace a broken Energenie as it can be manually set, where the Energenie gives very little manual control, and the Kasa was cheap, and I use the hubs as double as door bells.

I have seen some good but cheap wall thermostats, but I need a wireless wall thermostat as boiler in flat, and need thermostat in main house.

I had delayed to see age cymru first in case they had some ideas I had not considered, but he agreed second thermostat in main living room a good idea.

If I use a thermostat which can link to TRV, then I could put the linked into wife's bedroom, and put the eQ-3 in the flat. Cheap optio seems to be Hive, but not sure if I would need a second zigbee hub, if my existing one will work great, but if not then not much between Hive and Wiser, and Wiser is clearly the better product.
I have the Wiser radiator thermostats and room thermostats on my gas heating, I am now into the second winter since I installed it all. I am starting to question whether having individual zones/rooms all having the ability to request heat is a good idea. The radiator TRV’s are not very good at estimating room temperature but it’s not economically viable to have a room thermostat in every room. I need to experiment with having fewer zones/rooms as at the moment the room temperature swings with the TRV’s is too much (approx 6 or 7 degrees c). A good example was last night when the TRV measured room temp was as low as 14c and when the heating came on this morning the TRV got to 20c in approx 45mins but I have a seperate thermostat in the room which measured minimum overnight room temp of 16c and when the TRV stopped requesting heat the room temp was only 18c.

I have the Wiser radiator thermostats and room thermostats on my gas heating, I am now into the second winter since I installed it all. I am starting to question whether having individual zones/rooms all having the ability to request heat is a good idea. The radiator TRV’s are not very good at estimating room temperature but it’s not economically viable to have a room thermostat in every room. I need to experiment with having fewer zones/rooms as at the moment the room temperature swings with the TRV’s is too much (approx 6 or 7 degrees c). A good example was last night when the TRV measured room temp was as low as 14c and when the heating came on this morning the TRV got to 20c in approx 45mins but I have a seperate thermostat in the room which measured minimum overnight room temp of 16c and when the TRV stopped requesting heat the room temp was only 18c.
Thank you for your candid reply. I did use the Energenie in mothers old house, with a modulating boiler, and found the lock shield valve setting was critical. The display Flat Battery TRV.jpg helped to set it, if current exceeds target then close a tad, and clearly the reverse, but set at 20ºC at 7 am it was nearly 11 am before actually got to 20ºC, so cheated and at 7 am set to 22ºC and at 8 am set to 20ºC and in the main at temperature by 8 am.

However the new owners did not want them, so mechanical replaced, and now lock shields set worked well, and the Energenie were brought here, however mothers house had a modulating boiler, gas, this house on/off boiler, oil, and to date not got them working that well, first point is in spite saying they worked with Nest, on fitting Nest Gen 3 I found they didn't, and so I could turn off rooms not being used, I added a further 5 eQ-3 blue tooth TRV heads, but at the time flat not used, so left the 4 mechanical in the flat, and turned off the motorised valve so all flat not heated except for frost protection.

I blamed the on/off nature of the boiler to start with, but now wonder if there is a by-pass valve not found. But found the boiler turning off while living room still cold, I think main problem is hall cools too slowly, so idea is a second thermostat in parallel with Nest, must be wireless, and to be able to turn off with Phone would be a plus.

I did consider Wiser three zone, but realised no access to the com, and I need to power both a 2 pumps and 2 motorised valves, and a boiler, and the Nest Gen 3 wiring worked A1 but Wiser would need relays adding, so looking at single zone just for main house. But Hive is cheaper, so is being considered.

But that leaves the flat with nothing to tell me when daughter has left on the heating, the Kasa head £35 for Amazon so a cheap option to see if heating left on, the eQ-3 no good as only shows target, it does not show current. But only need one head to see if heating running or not. Fitting a Wiser head to wife's bedroom would ensure that room is warm enough, don't have a problem with my bedroom.

So today tried the adaptors that came with the eQ-3, 20240118_111953.jpg20240118_112230.jpg20240118_112349.jpg and they work, so can fit electronic TRV heads to radiators in the flat, as I have the adaptors already. So good news, but @Mister Banks report is not what I expected. I have not seen the software for wiser, the Kasa shows TRV Kasa.jpg but looking at the damaged Energenie TRV for same room it shows room has actually reached 20ºC it is the furnuture stopping the flow of air, but other side of living room also showing 1705581418687.pngand that one has only a table in front of it, so there is air movement, and boiler at moment not running, just on the edge 1705581579530.png but the TRV in hall showing 1705581671476.png so 1.5ºC between the TRV and wall thermostat, the house today is warm enough, but sun is shinning. 1705581861912.png so don't really need heating today.

There is so little between Wiser and Hive price, I am leaning towards Wiser, but watching the forum before buying, as clearly made an error with Nest, and do not want to repeat that mistake.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back