What undercoat. what white paint for new pine door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I installed a new door for my bedroom

Its from B&Q, I think its pine,but I dont know much about wood

Its got a light stain, brown colour

The door needed cutting a bit, to make it narrower, which is why i got a pine door, which lent itself well to being cut

Now I want to paint it white.

What type of paint do i need, does it need an undercoat

I have never painted a door before

Sponsored Links
give it a light sand with fine sand paper to give a key
Then you need at least 3 coats of paint.

1st coat is white primer
2nd coat is white undercoat (if the door doesnt look white all over add a second undercoat)
3dr coat is gloss (avoid the one coat gloss, it horrible to work with)

Give the door a light sanding between each coat once it is dry

When painting a door dont put too much paint on, you only need a thin layer. Paint a small section at a time (say 1 foot square), painting horizontally and vertically, when this area is covered line the area off by running your brush vertically (this reduced the chances of getting runs). Go back and check to make sure you dont get any runs (or snots as my dad would say)

I use to think One Coat was rubbish too until I tried the latest Crown Solo - best paint in history. (thanks Growler).

Sponsored Links
The coating on the door is acting as a knotting agent so when sanding take care not to break through this coating, seeing as the door has this coating you should not a apply a specific wood primer. You can if you wish apply a primer undercoat or just an undercoat, your first step should be to apply either a knotting solution or stain block to the bare edge to counteract any resinous bleed, so that would be two undercoats and one topcoat. Also you could apply one undercoat finishing with one coat of Crown Solo as said a brilliant product.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back