What vapour barrier? Breathable or non breathable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Scenario is a single skin concrete block wall between unheated garage and heated utility room. On the warm side I've studded it, added 50mm of foil faced insulation and plan to overboard this with 67.5mm backed plasterboard.

I've been advised that I need a vapour barrier between the wall and stud, but don't know if it's breathable or a simple polythene barrier?

Can anyone advise?

Sponsored Links
You don't even need a vapour barrier in that situation.
I did think that, but the building inspector has asked for one. I expected it to be a poly barrier at best but he wants breathable membrane, which I suspect is like roofing stuff.

Sponsored Links
I did think that, but the building inspector has asked for one. I expected it to be a poly barrier at best but he wants breathable membrane, which I suspect is like roofing stuff.
Are you saying the building inspector wants you to remove the insulation and studs and fit a membrane against the garage wall?

A breather membrane is normally used where there is likely to be water penetrating the structure such as below roof tiles, tile hanging, sheathing on timber framed panels etc. It stops water coming in but allows moisture in the air to escape. Can't see the point of it in your situation.

Your inspector had not got a clue. It's an internal wall! Tell him/her to do one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back