What varnish and how to apply

Why not danish oil the interior doors? Or shellac them?

I thought for doors oil or shellac+wax will not withstand well the accumulation of dirt at the area where the door is touched when pulled or pushed shut. Rather they will not withstand the cleaning on that area.

People tend to touch doors consistently at the same spot. Also the house has cats who will rub themselves on every available corner, and the owner (not me in this instance) would not consider rewaxing, buffing, let alone oiling again. :( Hence the need for a varnish.

Sponsored Links
Oil's a disaster in my experience for the reasons you give.

Good point about the door "traffic".

I am not sure if this would apply to oil though, afterall work tops get a lot of traffic.

Good point about the door "traffic".

I am not sure if this would apply to oil though, afterall work tops get a lot of traffic.

Doors have trafic (i.e. fingers) more or less always on the same area, normally below the handle. Grease and dirt from fingers accumulates there. Cleaning it is the issue.

Kitchen benches we hope will get a more even traffic which is also part of what they are expected to look like. Well used and well looked after. Then you are supposed to sand them down lightly and oil them ... can't really sand down a veneered door and oil it again :(

I am sorry ... I never said the doors most likely would be veneered. I have not yet seen replacement (internal house) doors made from solid oak. Not to worry though ... I bought the varnish (Crown general purpose satin stuff). Now I need a collection of brushes to have to clean after I experiment :D

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back