What weather wise affects Freeview TV Signals?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in NW London and we get Freeview via Crystal Palace transmitter. Our TV Antenna is in the loft and has been like that for at least 5+ years with no issues. However very recently I'm getting picture breakup on certain channels such as Sony Channel (which used to be called True Entertainment I think)

Excluding things like rain, etc.
I think the picture is more reliable when it's colder outside?

Sponsored Links
Isotropic prorogation the CB guys call it skip is where you have a cold and warm layer of air and the radio signal can go up hit that layer and travel for 100s of miles so you have radio contact far further than normal, but if it's below the transmitter aerial it reflects the signal away from the ground in the same way, so in Suffolk you can lose local transmitter and get Dutch transmitters instead. And the multiplex signals lower down the mast may work, but those further up the mast fail.

In the days of coal fires you could see the smoke go up then fan out as it hit the layer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back