What Wood To Board Floor And Floating Or Fixed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got old asbestos tile in half of my kitchen, then half is concrete. I do not want to get the tiles up, then test dampness (I hear the tiles could have been used for DPM purposes too) then screed - which will cost quite a lot.

I want to board the concrete floor - however unsure what wood to use and whether to fix it or float it fixing the boards to each other?

Moisture tests on current floor are not coming up with any problems. I don't want a super high floor, so thinking just 6mm floor either use plywood or pre primed tile backing type boards. I was originally going to glue/drill and screw down but later down the line it would be good to have the flexibility to bring up the asbestos tile and therefore having a floating floor with the boards attached to each other seemed to be most appropriate.

Anything I'm saying ringing alarm bells? Thoughts very welcome. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
How you going to attach 6mm boards to each other? What’s the purpose, what’s the finished flooring?

Vinyl lino is the finished floor. Fixing boards I wanted to take advice on, obviously I wanted something simple for a DIY'er. I'm guessing glueing the edges together is maybe something I can look at - but need to ensure they are perfectly level when glued??

Boards would have to be glued down , a screed would be better to level .

Sponsored Links
Boards need to be at least 16mm and t & g edged to build a floating floor. As Foxhole says deep hollows need to be filled in any case. I've always screwed down plywood rather than glueing on account of glued joints being prone to creep in some circumstances. Just in case I'd still put a coat of liquid DPM on the floor before laying the plywood if the floor was at ground floor level

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back