What woodstain / system for timber fascia/ply soffit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been getting into researching this wood stain lark and it's doing my head in.

I need to 'do' a brand new redwood timber fascia and soffit and not sure what to plump for

I phoned the Sikkens hotline; they said to use HLS+ then Filter 7 top coat (blurb recommend 2 coats each) but after the i looked at the finer print online and it seems like they would recommend two coats of Cuprinol Trade Wood Preserver Clear (BP) to saturation prior to that as it's softwood
6 coats are you kidding me ?

Wondering whether to do the dulux water based
2 coats of Aquatech Preservative Basecoat followed by 2 (to 3) coats Dulux Trade Ultimate Woodstain. they say this is good for up to 10 years wheras sikkens say top finish good 5 years.

I hear that many people think water based is carp, but then the promo's say water based is now a lot better.

Any recommendations for any system welcomed

UPVC is out BTW

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back