What works best - dust extraction or filtration?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I work a great deal with my bandsaw, power files sanders etc.. in my small garage, causing a cloud of dust to appear!

What would be the best and indeed, how do the two options of filtration or extraction differ? to eradicate this problem?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
they go hand in hand you cant have one without the other unless your talking masks

if you mean a system that filters the air in the room in my opinion they are to little to late

extraction just means to remove from but in this case has been extended to collection and filtration

you need a system that will work with the setup you have
no good getting a 4" hose extractor if you need to exract from 35mm hoses

Thanks for your message.

Some of my power tools and my bandsaw don't have a hose at all!

Does this fact mean an extractor is out of the question?

Sponsored Links
my rather crytic message you mean lol :D :D

yes you can have general extraction but iff your not picking up 90% off the dust you should wear a dust mask
units that filter the air cant be 100%
to be honest with time the dust settles anyway and the filters can only filter the air that goes through them

if you have a relativly small area you can work from say 18" cubed you could probably build an open fronted "BOX" that would have enough flow from a 4" extraction pipe to catch non directional dust but certainly wouldnt catch dust propelled at 20ft a second

most messy tools have extraction ports built on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back