What would you do with all this water under your floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently purchased a 1930's 3 bed semi. The house is in a high water table area. I have needed to replace all the floors upstairs and down due to woodworm (I new this before purchase).

Under the downstairs suspended wood floor is a concrete base (don't know how thick) onto hardcore. There is then a void (80cm) and then wooden joists (at blue/black brick level on pic) with floor boards on them.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f157/Jono_UK/Keyworth House/IMG_0765.jpg
Here is picture 1. Note the hole in the wall left of the fireplace, this is a ventilation hole into the neighbours house and there is one on the opposite side going outside.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f157/Jono_UK/Keyworth House/IMG_0766.jpg
Picture 2 is an alternative view.

After one day of rain the water level has risen to 4-5cm. This level goes up and down and at highest point the level has risen to about 30cm (So my neighbour has said about his)

Now, my question is what should I do? Should I A.) Fill the lot with concrete including a duct for the neighbours suspended floor. B.) Ignore it, build back the middle wall and put joists and floor back. C.) Put dpm down and 10cm of concrete, continue to have void and the wooden suspended floor (Worried the water will go over this new floor too).
D.) SOmething else?
Thanks Jono.

Sponsored Links
if you live in a high water table area aurely no matter what yo do the water will come in. have you thought about a sump and pump?

breezer, like a bilge pump usually used in boats? I could put one of these in out-letting to the rain water drain.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back