What would YOU recommend?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are renovaitng and extending a house. The finished house will have 5 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, plus downstairs loo, study, playroom etc.

I think there are 16 radiators, 3 towel rails. The towel rails serve rooms with additional underfloor heating.

We would like a recommendation for a boiler. Plumbers on here seem to like Worcesters. We have previously had a Ferroli (problematic) and a Vallant (not bad).

We have no idea what questions to ask.Do we need additional hot water storage, for example.

Builder wanting to fit a Potterton. Have just ripped out 34 year old Potterton Kingfisher (serviced every 6 months!!) which was working perfectly. I believe Potterton are now made by Baxi, who seem to get poor reviews in 'Which' magazine.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Intergas/Atmos, Atag, Worcester.

In that order of preference.

You don't say how much hot water storage you have at the moment. We would normally be looking at a 210/250 unvented cytlinder subject to supply suitability.

Intergas with an OSO Super S unvented cylinder if your mains is up to it

Sponsored Links
Its impossible to specify hot water requirements without knowing how many people live there.

A good rule of thumb is 50 litres plus 50 litres of stored hot water per person.

Tony

Youllneverguess";p="2128801 said:
Intergas/Atmos, Atag, Worcester.

In that order of preference.

You don't say how much hot water storage you have at the moment. We would normally be looking at a 210/250 unvented cytlinder subject to supply suitability.[/quote

all these boilers are crap don't use any of these

Fitted many twin flows have you.....

Rinnai infinity water heaters will outperform any Unvented cylinder all day long.
The atag boiler is better than anything Ideal have ever produced.

Don't need to say any more.

thanks for your replies.

I have no idea what the previous storage capacity was. The house belonged to an old lady and had 3 beds/1 bath. It will now belong to a family of four - the kids are small now but will obviously be teenagers wanting showers one day.

We have had our mains supply pipe replaced to a much bigger one (I have no idea of the diameter - it's a big blue one suitable for a 5 bed house - 28 rings a bell)

We have showers at the same time as running washer/dishwasher.

If in doubt, fit a 210 OSO cylinder. If you need more water, the internal air bubble can be removed and an external vessel fitted boosting the capacity of the tank to 250.

28mm pipe is small IMHO.

OSO cylinders don't have an air gap, they have external expansion vessels, they're just hidden under the lid (at least on the Super S ones, others might still use the archaic air gap nonsense...)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back