What zone is the outside of a shower tray?

That would depend on the potential of the -12V with respect to earth. If battery powered, not likely to be a problem.
If battery-powered, the concern raised by bernard obviously wouldn't exist. He was concerned about a cheap SELV losing it's 'S' and so proposed converting it to PELV, with an RCD protecting it, so any leakage of 230V onto the output of the SELV transformer/PSU would hopefully cause the RCD to operate.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
That would depend on the potential of the -12V with respect to earth. If battery powered, not likely to be a problem.

I guess the difficulty for me, as a normal consumer, is trying to buy something that meets current regulations but also fits with best/good practise”

We can all agree water does not mix with electricity, on that basis I’m wondering if I need to rethink the whole idea of placing lights under the tray.....

Having said that these ones are Zone 0 compliant ! (and more expensive)

http://www.nationallighting.co.uk/L...d/7345?vat=1&gclid=CO7i-YyEksMCFSnkwgodsQ4A1w

I guess the difficulty for me, as a normal consumer, is trying to buy something that meets current regulations but also fits with best/good practise” ... We can all agree water does not mix with electricity, on that basis I’m wondering if I need to rethink the whole idea of placing lights under the tray.
I can understand your position. If you wanted something which was extremely safe, what bernard proposed in his post at 8:35 this evening is all-but foolproof. If you showed that to an electrician, I'm sure he could engineer it for you, and would probably source the components from somewhere 'safer' than eBay.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back