whats certs for diy minor installations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Please can you let me know (maybe add to sticky?) what tests / certs are applicable for diy type installations, (i'm in rented accom & will likely need to supply something to the owners for any electrical work)

i am looking to put sockets via a fused spur off upstairs double socket into the loft, as well as lighting in loft from upstairs lighting ring, although other things often include wall lights, replacement light fittings, security lights, etc etc

I did look in the wiki / stickies but there is no info there for certs / tests, only good advice about the methods of installation :)

thanks.

Sponsored Links
Do you own a full set of calibrated test equipment, and understand how to interpret the results?

You need to carry out the following tests in this order to complete your minor works / electrical installation certificate.

Continuity of protective conductors
Ring final circuit continuity
Insulation resistance
Polarity (dead)
Polarity (live - confirm after energising.
'Lectrode (if applicable and if using a loop tester))
Earth eault loop impedance
Devices - incluidng RCD and functional switching

Hi RF,

Thanks for the info,

Do you own a full set of calibrated test equipment, and understand how to interpret the results?

not yet, ive been offered cheap, a "robin" test set 17th edition compliant from a retiring sparky, he has also offered to give me a guided tour of the common tests. I don't know him very well, so asked here before sounding completely dumb lol...

I have been doing electrical installations of sorts for over 17yrs. being able to test them properly would seem the next step. I have also been reading with interest another thread on here about the domestic installer qualification. (again this needs you to bring your own compliant test equipment)

Thanks for the info on the tests required, i can ensure any test equipment i buy is able to support those tests. I believe i understand the tests, but not (yet) how to perform them, In the meantime i know what to ask of any sparky i employ to test for me & the correct info required for the certs to give the owners.

i realise i may leave myself open to critiscm here, looking to buy equipment to do tests i don't (yet) understand, working with equipment i don't yet know, but everyone needs to learn & i've been installing long enough, it's about time i ensured i was working safely & testing properly...

any advice / info more than welcome.

thanks

Please can you let me know (maybe add to sticky?) what tests / certs are applicable for diy type installations,
Exactly the same as for anybody else doing the work. The type of tests and certificates which are appropriate are determined by the scope of the work, not by the skills of the person doing it.

Anybody may test - there are no legal requirements for any specific qualifications. Anybody may issue certificates, ditto, but what value can be placed on certificates issued by someone unable to prove that he has the necessary skills is another matter....

(i'm in rented accom & will likely need to supply something to the owners for any electrical work)
A bit like Groucho Marx, if I were you I'd be worried about any landlord that accepted your certificates...

I did look in the wiki / stickies but there is no info there for certs / tests, only good advice about the methods of installation :)
Read Part 6 of this:

31VCIsGDpBL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

and all of this:

31yVJuW-gLL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi BAS,

thanks for the links to the requirements for electrical testing & IEE Inspection & Testing, I will certainly lookup both.

Just to be clear, I did not say i wanted to issue my own certs now to my landlord. what i said was - I now know what tests to ask a qualified electrician to do on my behalf & supply the appropriate cert for me.

I made this statement in both a/. the belief i was not yet able to do these competently and b/. did not have the inclination or means to do so myself (yet)

however as with any trade, there are things i would like to better myself on. Life is always a learning curve & I did say i wanted to learn / train to be able to do these. I am only a DIY'er, although i can see the interest / positives in being trained / qualified & supported by the appropriate schemes for when friends / family ask me to help them. Also in knowing I am able to properly test an installation & not just "believe" it's okay. Hence the interest & questions in this & other posts about c&g 2382, EAL Domestic Installer & c&g 2391. ;)

Just to be clear, I did not say i wanted to issue my own certs now to my landlord. what i said was - I now know what tests to ask a qualified electrician to do on my behalf & supply the appropriate cert for me.

I made this statement in both a/. the belief i was not yet able to do these competently and b/. did not have the inclination or means to do so myself (yet)
Sorry - I misinterpreted what you wrote.

The answer is the same though - the testing and certification which is appropriate does not depend on who does the work. But the testing and particularly the certification which can be obtained is affected by it - in reality you'll probably find it virtually impossible to get anything other than a PIR from an electrician.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back