Whats happened to this plaster?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had the ceiling skimmed in the bathroom a few weeks ago and we painted it about a week ago.

did a base of watered down paint and then a few days later we did two top coats with a bathroom paint which is water and mold resistant.

last night i noticed the paint looked to be bubbling up, but on further inspection is the plaster that has bubbled, and fell off easily when pressed, i coudlnt feel any moisture between the layers and its definitley not damp. Is this something ive done or not done, or is this a fault with how the skim was done?

you can see in the below image the centre is the bubble and the left hand side is where i broke some away there are a couple of patches like this but ive only noticed them lastnight and this is the biggest.

IMG_20160214_201840588_HDR.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
What was the ceiling finish before it was plastered and did he PVA the ceiling

Zooming in, it looks like two different skim layers have come away, from two different finishes.

ceiling was cracked painted plaster there was wallpaper up before but that was all removed, no idea if he used PVA, i wasnt around when he did the job

Its probably due to the paint that was skimmed over - egg shell or vinyl most likely. Either way, the skim hasn't bonded. Would probably need reboarding first, then plastering. What's the brown finish that's visible where the plaster has fallen off?

Wallpaper was my guess, I'm guessing it came off really easily without much steaming and stripping, leaving a lot of the adhesive still on the ceiling. Then when you plaster the plaster adheres to the adhesive ok but as it wets the adhesive it starts to come away a little bit then subsequent wetting and rolling pulls it off. I speak from experience, I made that mistake once. plastered a ceiling all looked fine until I came to paint it and the whole lot came off in sheets. My guess is if you get a scraper behind that the whole lot will come off easily.
One good thing though is that the plaster will pull all the adhesive with it and then when you re-plaster it should be OK.
I would score the ceiling quite heavily and then PVA and go again.
You might be lucky and it might just be patches, which you could reskim

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back