What's in my wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The image below is a cross section shot of a wall in the airing cupboard of my 60s house. (The image looks a bit flat because of the camera angle).

What are the different layers? Am I right in saying breeze block wall under the brown plaster board? Is the speckled white and black surface part of the plaster board? The textured surface is very thin. Is this artex or textured paint?

Having an asbestos survey soon but just trying to orientate in my mind what I am looking at.

Thanks
IMG_20170901_161738.jpg

Sponsored Links
It looks like clincker block with sand and cement render and a thin layer of finishing plaster then artex over the top.

Mike

Thanks Mike.

Although I'll be getting it tested whatever; does artex normally peel like paint? It's not clear in the picture but if I got a scraper in behind the artex, I could lift larger sections off fairly cleanly. Or are artex and textured paint one and the same thing?

Thanks again

I'm not trying to spook you but if the artex was put on before about 1990 then it does contain a amount of asbestos although I don't know how much and it is only the dust that in large quantities will do any harm.
Personally I would not try to remove the artex and just plaster over the top.

Mike

Sponsored Links
It is well before 1990, so as you say likely to contain asbestos. It has either been removed or plastered over everywhere else in the house. I just wasn't sure that it was Artex, as I'd always thought Artex was plaster-like and this looks more like paint (as opposed to what is on the ceiling in the same airing cupboard which is what I always thought Artex to look like).

There must be 1000s of homes with Artex that has been plastered over that people drill, cut, knock into without any idea it is there!

The trouble is that without having a close up look it's hard to tell, it may well be some kind of textured paint ( that bloody stuff was everywhere) which is harmless. To be honest and as far as I'm aware, you would have to disturb a lot of the stuff to seriously damage your health and a couple of holes every so often is IMHO is neither here nor there.

Mike

I'd have to agree, just think about the amount of houses like mine which have been skimmed over the artex and then various DIY / professional works carried out oblivious to the hidden artex under the plaster! ...........although I will be sure to get it properly covered if it is asbestos containing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back