What's the best material for inset basin to sit in?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any suggestions on what the best material is for putting an inset wash basin into? I am looking at an area that is probably 1.5m x 0.5m, this will have the basin inset into it. I won't be doing the work but I don't want to specify something that causes too much pain for either me or the builder doing the work. Specifically, I guess it needs to be relatively easy to cut the hole in it and it won't end up rotting and falling to bits with a bit of moisture ingress.

What are the options?

Sponsored Links
Corian by DuPoint every time. It can be made to your drawings, so you don't have to cut it at all. Just fit your sink and tap(s). Job done.

Oh and it looks great too. I had a kitchen island made from it.

For more info click here.

standard worktop,with any exposed bits.e.g the cut out.sealed, i use pva.in the end the basin itself with a good silicone seal to hold and to seal it should do the job.works for kitchen sinks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the suggestions.

The Corian material looks interesting but the tech information has a warning about nail varnish products. This may be a problem as the surface is likely to get plenty of this splashed on it as the bathroom will be used by my two Daughters.

I am not sure about the tiled plywood idea as we want a seamless surface. Maybe bang down a marine ply substrate and put something seamless and hard wearing over the top - coloured toughened glass maybe!

Using a standard work-surface as used in kitchens feels like the right way to go but I have been caught be water damage on this sort of product in the past. I guess if the exposed chipboard is sealed well enough it may be up to the job.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back