whats the best saw to get a straight cut

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to do a few really good cuts for the joints on some quite glossy kitchen kickboard, tried with my old handsaw but it was rubbish.

Also tried with a circular saw, but when the guard kicks in it throws the line off , like im really fighting with it !

Im thinking maybe I need a new handsaw and clamp a jig on ?

if so what's the best ? does the length affect the accuracy of the cut ?
or would I be better with a tenon saw ?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Only personally speaking but if you only have a few cuts to do I'd be using a fine toothed tenon saw and clamp it down onto a workmate bench......put some masking tape over the area, mark on that and then cut slowly keeping the blade at a shallow angle. Cut down through the glossy side.
Have a bit of practice first on some offcuts, if you can.
John :)

I manually open the guard on my circular saw to stop that from happening. Use a clamped on guide against the baseplate of the saw to get a really solid edge to push the saw against and you should get a good, straight cut.

If you're talking joints on the kickboards, are you talking 90 degree butt joints or joining two lengths of kickboard together?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that, Ive got the handsaw as I want to do it myself.
good tip on the circ saw guard I found was putting a screw to hold it at a better angle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back