Whats the best way of removing floor tile grout so I can regrout?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Weve just bought a house and everywhere I look are problems with the house. Anyhow... todays issue is the floor tile grout. I need to remove and redo it as its cracked. I have heard a multi tool attachment can be used or a grout rake. I have a multi tool but no rake. Shall I just go ahead and use this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You don't have to use the rake; you can use a blade made for removing grout. Just be careful not to press too hard as the blade should eat through it fairly easily.

Never heard of the brand before, but this from Amazon is actually very effective:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00RC2R...t=&hvlocphy=9046400&hvtargid=pla-421911019904

As a word of advice, I'd tackle the bigger jobs if there really are problems everywhere. Having bought a house sold as "immaculate" only to find many hidden bodges, time and money meant it was better to focus on the more serious stuff first.

Yeah a multi tool does the job quickly and easily. I did the this recently in our bathroom and used a saxton diamond tipped multi tool blade. Was very effective and didn't show any signs of wear even after doing the whole floor which was about 5 square meters of 400mm square tiles

Nice, thanks for the reply. I have the multi tool attachment courtesy of aldi recently so shall give it a go. I did try with a grout rake and it did remove quite alot but not enough to do a lasting repair. My only concern with the multi tool is that it could clip the edge of a floor tile and chip it but I guess thats where super steady surgeon hands come into play.

Sponsored Links
fair enough if regroting for the time being but you should find out the cause of the problem.
two common causes are no room for tile expansion and unstable subfloor.
another cause for slight tile movement and grout poping can be using mastic premixed tile adhesive instead of bagged powder adhesive.

Floor is chipboard from what I can see. Upstairs bathroom floor.

I did use the multi tool and regrout in the end. It worked well and the job didnt take long but I have small pinholes in the grout at some points. Maybe I could of spent longer sweeping out the old grout powder which im guessing would of prevented this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back