whats the best way to decorate a new wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi! we just knocked through and now have an archway from kitchen to dining room. looks good but am now thinking about the decorating and wondered whats the best grade of lining paper to use as the wall has quite uneven surfaces on both sides. I intend to wallpaper both sides. On the dining room side i want to put up a lovely modern paper and have a feature wall. do i line horizontally or can i go vert if i don't start in the same place so that the lines/joins aren't together. hope this makes sense. also, how do i wallpaper the arch to have two sep papers, one on either side. I can see me getting in a tizz re the form and where to separate it. would i be best off using the same pattern both sides? any suggestions welcome. thanks.

Sponsored Links
It depends on how rough your walls are, but a 1200 grade lining paper is a fairly good cover up as it is quite thick. You can always cross line first if your walls are that bad. Not sure you know what that is, but if you don't, line vertically, and then again horizontally, and then hang your wall paper as normal. If you are opting for a thick embossed wallpaper anyway, then line once if you feel the walls are that bad and then your wallpaper, but don't finish the joins in the same place as the lining paper as there is a chance of the paper coming away.
As for your arches, if you have two seperate rooms, it doesn't matter if you wallpaper differently unless I've misunderstood.
Good luck anyway

I think I know what you are getting at with the arches. It may just be easier to use the same paper, or paint the inner part of the archway all one colour, then paper as you choose. Hope I've been of some help.

thank you both for suggestions. am going to line with the 1200 vertically and pick a lovely paper for both rooms and then paint the arch form. the kitchen fitters should finish today and then i can get cracking! :confused:

Sponsored Links
If you are going to paper the walls after lining then you should crossline that is horizontally, if you line vertically then you risk meeting joints, not good practice. I agree the grade of lining paper depends on the parent surface if ok then 1200 will be fine however if its poor then i would recommend a 1700 grade paper you can purchase it from BQ if you do not have access to trade supply.

oops I meant to say horiz line, but thanks tho. will prob be best with 1700 liner to be sure of nice finish. just got to crack on and do it..........

Word of advice. Make sure you use Solvite heavy duty paste, follow the instructions for heavy paper when pasted the lining paper should be allowed to soak for at least 10 mins, this will allow the paste to permeate the surface of the paper it will also aid application, make sure to leave a 1-2mm gap on each joint do not overlap as it will show through your finish paper.

Don't completely dismiss vertically lining though. I know you are supposed to line horizontally, but I could never get the hang (sorry) of it, so the few times I've lined a wall its always been vertically, half a roll width out. I stress the proper way to do it is horizontally though.

lining paper should always be hung horizontally never vertical. As for the degree of difficulty just work directly from a line marked horizontally by chalk line or spirt level or if the skirting boards/dado rail are fairly level work directly off those.

lining paper should always be hung horizontally never vertical

Can see where your coming from guss, but I would'nt say 'never line vertical'.
A job I did recently, I lined both vertical and horizontal, for my convenience. Ok I was being lazy did'nt want to go and get a longer plank :LOL:

Thats fine, the finish paper should be hung vertically. A good tip when pasting drops always concertina the paper at intervals of about 300mm, paste face to paste face, you will find it far easier to manage particularly when crosslining long walls, that way you are only working with a manageable area, as for smoothing out paper buy a plastic paint edge protector, they are usually made from a thin pliable plastic, with a little practice you will find this far more effective than a paper brush when applying paper, remember to slightly round off the sharp ends

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back