Wallpapering upto an opening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I wondered if someone can help with the best way to achieve a good result.

I am currently wallpapering the dining room. This has an opening into the hallway but there is no door. Think archway but square and not arch shaped.

I want to paper up to arch but not into it. Whats the best way to achieve a good finish. Last time I did it i made a bit of a mess of it so any tips!

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Overhang the opening. Make sure you roller the edge to ensure it sticks fully,
leave to dry then trim flush with a VERY sharp knife the snap off blade type are good as you can use a new section for each side.

Finally if you have not quite got a good edge, some very fine glasspaper around a block will smooth any rough edges.

Thanks, so the trick is to leave to dry, I did similar last time but did it wet. Whilst I didn't rip the paper it wasn't neat.

Final question:

Do you trim from the front or the back of the paper?

Thanks

I have found in the past that the wallpaper will lift at the edges, people rubbing past it , etc.
How about thinking of finishing it off with right angle protective beading, either wood or PVC.

Sponsored Links
I would trim from the front keeping the blade as flush as possible to the hallway wall, as said don't stint on the knife use a fresh edge for each cut it must be really sharp to get the best result. :D

I agree with Bosswhite - however neatly you do it, it will end up looking a mess as people brush past over the months. It's poor design, really,

How about putting a door (or a double door) into the opening and papering up to the door frame? You don't have to keep the doors closedat all times but they would look better than a square arch (rather dated?) and would keep the room warmer when you do want to have cosy meals in there.

I agree with Bosswhite - however neatly you do it, it will end up looking a mess as people brush past over the months. It's poor design, really,

How about putting a door (or a double door) into the opening and papering up to the door frame? You don't have to keep the doors closedat all times but they would look better than a square arch (rather dated?) and would keep the room warmer when you do want to have cosy meals in there.

The last lot only looked a mess because of the way I did it, nothing to do with people rubbing against it. It's very difficult to do that!

It's a bit extreme isn't it, I ask advice on wallpapering and you suggest spending hundreds on installing double doors. The arch isn't dated as I said it is more of a square opening, we purposely had it built to separate a hall from the dining area when we had the extension built and it adds an excellent feature. Putting doors on would be totally unpractical as they would just take up very usable space and get in the way making both the dining room and hall look smaller, and have less usable space!

Bosswhite thanks for that...I have thought about that and will look into it. I saw a product but obviously American that you stuck to the wall first and then filled over and papered up to. Think uPVC tile edging but only half a mil deep. Having looked though it doesn't seem to be available here, shame as seems the ideal solution.

I would trim from the front keeping the blade as flush as possible to the hallway wall, as said don't stint on the knife use a fresh edge for each cut it must be really sharp to get the best result. :D

Just to say thanks for this...it's all done and looks great, one very happy wife!

It's a bit extreme isn't it, I ask advice on wallpapering and you suggest spending hundreds on installing double doors. The arch isn't dated as I said it is more of a square opening, we purposely had it built to separate a hall from the dining area when we had the extension built and it adds an excellent feature. Putting doors on would be totally unpractical as they would just take up very usable space and get in the way making both the dining room and hall look smaller, and have less usable space!

Whatever. It was simply a suggestion based on the description you gave of what sounded like a poorly designed opening. If you think it's marvellous, then jolly good!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back