What's the best way to fill holes in a hollow wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi I have a couple of holes in my bathroom where my towl rail came off the wall's are hollow and i have tried filling them with multi purpose filler but it doesn't seem to hold it for long now it seems due to my last attempt some of the top layer of plasterboard has come off any idea's on the best way to fill these holes thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Er - just to clarify things.. Are you trying to re-attach the towel rail as well? If you are it will keep falling off until you get something more solid behind the plasterboard (eg a bit of wood).

How big are the holes?
If the plaster finish is coming away you can, remove a small area of this and using a piece dry-lining nylon tape over the hole,
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Plasterboard-Tape/invt/163685
then fill it out.
If you intend to use the holes again you will have problems, unless you use a bigger plug so the hole is more accommodating, hollow wall anchors would be my choice of plug in dry-lined walls.

Sponsored Links
hi I have a couple of holes in my bathroom where my towl rail came off the wall's are hollow and i have tried filling them with multi purpose filler but it doesn't seem to hold it for long now it seems due to my last attempt some of the top layer of plasterboard has come off any idea's on the best way to fill these holes thanks in advance.

Click me

if the holes are that big, that's the way to go about it.
Very much like cmother1, I use timber behind the hole, so you can screw the timber in place either side of the hole, and then fix a piece of plasterboard, to the hole, screwing up to the timber, tape around the joints and fill out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back