What's the best way to hang weight from angled surface?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm not experienced with DIY but I'm hoping I can avoid screwing this job up with a bit of advice.

I would like to hang a pulley system from my carport roof so that I can store my roof box in the roof space.

The problem is the rafters are at a 45 degree angle, which would greatly reduce the strength of an eye bolt.

I've attached an image showing the two rafters I would need to hang the pulleys from. The total weight would be about 25kg spread between the two rafters.

Do you think the rafters can handle the weight and what would be the best attachment to connect the pulleys with the rafters?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_0845.jpg
    IMG_0845.jpg
    362.7 KB · Views: 285
Sponsored Links
Just screw the eye bolt in. Vertically or horizontally as you like.

Sponsored Links
That's a screw eye.

An eyebolt does not rely on the thread so I would prefer it. You can get them with a flanged head or "collar" to help hold them straight. Long-shank. And a nut and washer on the other end.

If you fix it vertically there is no twisting force, but you will want a plate or large washer under the nut.

s-l225.jpg
s-l225.jpg

Or you could use a shackle.

Last edited:
Better /stronger would be a pair of made for the job steel U shaped hangers, with a long bolt horizontally through the side of the U, the wood and the far side of the U.

Remember that if the lifting ropes go horizontally from the fixing at the rafter then there will be a horizontal force on the fixing as well as the vertical force.

Oh dear, very risky.

I would contact a structural engineer straight away.

Maybe it falls under building regs, Id say go for full plans submission, better safe than sorry.

Oh and Im sure it falls under working at height regulations, you might be best fitting a guard rail.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

These things are a complete pain in the arse! Just to take your kitchen sink on a 2 week camping holiday. Mine is sitting on 2 shelf brackets strapped to the wall as I have no roof space to store it in.
IMG_20190516_085424074.jpg

In your case I would just run a couple of horizontal 3x2's across from the rafters to that beam on the right, spaced a bit narrower than the length of the box and just sit it on top.

I’ve tried to do some proper calcs for this, but can only find loading data for masonary, timber floors etc, can’t see roofboxes on there.

If you plate the rafters with some ply and ensure the mounts go through both then you spread the load from one rafter each to say 4. This significantly improves the attachment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back