What's the best way to stiffen up a suspended floor.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's an old 30's built house with suspended floor and reckon it's possible some packing has fallen off the brick piers or they've sunk slightly over time. The joists probably span a little under 4 metres in the main rooms where it's a bit bouncy and probably only a couple of brick piers to break up the span of a couple of joists.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
MrTeeny, good evening.

I take it this is a suspended ground floor?

Do you have an access hatch anywhere? if not where can you "introduce one?" how about the floor in an under stair cupboard [if you have one?] if not how about a cupboard, that way you are not having to lift carpets / Laminate Etc. minimal disruption and access??

If you can gain access, then a quick look will get answers,

O and is the crawl space big enough for access??

Ken

Thanks Ken, yes I can get in under the stairs as I've done stuff under there before. I'm sure there weren't many brick piers which is why it's all a bit bouncy. There are honeycomb supporting walls under there but unfortunately one access point to get all under the hallway into the other rooms on the ground floor and not much crawl height. That's why I was wondering the best option before dragging myself under there to try and shore things up.

Sadly I don't think it's simply a case of just whacking some wood between the brick pillars and joist so thinking noggins , more piers etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back