whats the difference?

N

NoHounds

what are the main differences between mac and windows?

what is the best for a domestic computer?

sorry but little knowledge on computers :?: :?:

Sponsored Links
Plenty of explanations on the Web.

This is a good one.
The bottom line says a lot:
"Windows and Macintosh are fairly dissimilar operating systems. Each of them comes packaged with a set of advantages and disadvantages and each of them is meant for a distinct section of users."

what is the best for a domestic computer?

Good question and I would say Windows (because that is the only OS that I have had experience with, apart from playing with Linux a couple of times), but a stoic MAC user will swear by the MAC system because (even I admit) it is safer and less of a risk of web infections.

I should imagine that 90%+ of the contributers on all these forums use a Windows System so that may indicate which is favourite.

Just wait for the flood gates to open now. :LOL:

dave

Duh! Windows help light up you house during the day and a mac is for when its raining. Everyone knows that.

Feel free to ignore me. lol

Echo dave.m comments.

Bar a small stint at colleague (many moons ago) I haven't really used a MAC.

I would think you are more likely to get support from family, friends, colleagues etc...if you use Windows unless they all use MAC's ;)

Sponsored Links
if you have NEVER used a computer before, then fine, get a mac, they are easier to learn the basics on.

If you have used a windows machine, go for a PC, the extra expense on a mac just isnt worth it for 95% of users.

the only advantage a MAC has over a PC is you can put rediculous amounts of ram in them if you are doing LOTs of hi usage tasks, ie video editing, special effects etc.

For most, the 4Gb of ram a normal PC can use is fine (Ok, just for the picky its 3.2Gb)

in general X number of ££ will give you a better PC than MAC

and contrary to belief, there IS a risk, and a growing one of security issues with macs, the more users there is, the more this risk is going to grow.
As long as you take normal precautions, updates, viruses and abit of common sense it is perfectly safe.

With both Windows and Mac, you can write letters, run spreadsheets, browse the Internet, use e-mail, run photo and art programs, play games and do a whole host of other things. The end result is just the same whatever system is used. With that in mind, a less expensive Windows computer is an obvious choice for me.

A main benefit or claim of a Mac is that they are not so prone to malware attacks. I think this is true but Windows isn't that difficult to protect if the right (often free) security programs are added.

The 3.2 gig you refer to is only if using a 32bit OS. The PC I'm typing this on is running 8gig.

Its horses for courses with what system you go with, but for pure number of choices its got to be PC all the way, support for PC's is a lot more widely available. MACs are good, dont get me wrong, Im not anti MAC, its just a numbers thing, simple.

The thing about MAC get less viruses (Virii???) is also a misconception, its a numbers thing again, more PC means more targets to infect. Infact a recent article I read hints that MACs are getting targeted lately, If I can remember where I saw it I will post, failing that IM sure it can be googled.

Sponsored Links
Back