Password

DP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mate reloaded Windows on his secondhand computer. Now startup asks for password which he does not have.

What can he do? He would have posted himself, but computer no worky

Sponsored Links
Are we talking XP here, and is it a Windows account password that's being asked for? If he reloaded XP properly, there should be no passwords set.

Windows password removal is possible using EBCD, which you can download from here.

Maybe it's a password set up in the Bios settings. Resetting the Bios to default settings should remove the password. To do this, you can either move the tiny jumper bars on the motherboard (marked CMOS) to the other position and then move them back; or remove the battery on the motherboard for a while and then refit.

Igorian, I tried to load the program mentioned but cannot find it once it has been downloaded. Hope I have not downloaded a trojan.

I am not sure what windows the mate is running. Have tried to call him but his mobile is switched off

Sponsored Links
DP said:
Igorian, I tried to load the program mentioned but cannot find it once it has been downloaded. Hope I have not downloaded a trojan.

I am not sure what windows the mate is running. Have tried to call him but his mobile is switched off

Lol, only you know where you have put it. Basically, the program will generate a CD image which you then need to burn to disk. You then boot from this disk and it should start a Linux shell with a menu system. You then select the NT password recovery option, press Enter a few times and then select the account you want to edit. It's a damn good bit of kit to have in your toolbox, even if you don't use all the other features.

By default it put it into C:\Program files\ebcd-0.6.1-pro on my PC, from which you run the makeebcd.exe program which creates an ISO file. Open your CD burning software (I use Nero) and select burn image to disk. Select the ISO file from its location and burn it to a CD.

Thanks guys. If you need help with your boiler, just ask.

DP said:
Thanks guys. If you need help with your boiler, just ask.

Nah, the missus is fine ta. Oh, you couldn't source me a diverter valve and actuator for my Potterton Statesman Flowsure? The last heating engineer that came out took the old actuator, with a view to getting a replacement, but hasn't been seen since (6 months!). I'm having to manually twiddle the wotsit to turn on the heating. Actually, this seems a more reliable method than having the actuator.

If your mate reloaded windows - that means he reloaded it over the top of an existing version of Windows. Means that any passwords will stay there - plus any crap the previous owner had on there will still be there.

Password recovery tools are very good - but in this instance I would recommend he formatted the drive and started afresh.

i agree with saclarke1977, my advice is to format and reinstall windows it rids your computer of any spy/malware and you start afresh.

Sponsored Links
Back