What's the easiest way to remove paint from moulded doors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I have 5 interior moulded doors (like the cheap ones you get from the sheds) and they've all got a bad paint job. I figure I've got two options - replace or strip.

I can't sand them as it will take the (fake) grain off them so would a decent chemical paint stripper work, or my trusty old heat gun? Or is it a lost cause and just replace them? Has anybody successfully done this?

Cheers,
Paul.

Sponsored Links
Paul

Try a heat gun, don't have it on to high a setting and just allow the paint to soften. Got to be worth a try.

Dec

If they are the ones with the wood grain finish, i think they will be very hard to strip to a decent finish. Theses doors are on offer at most big Sheds for about £18 each.

Cheers guys. I might try the heat gun and see what happens but I am resigned to the fact that it will be cr@p and will need replacing anyway. I've got a guy coming round tomorrow to give me a quote to replace them. I can't be bothered to hang them myself.

I was just hoping for some miracle stripper (so to speak) to do the job for me!

Sponsored Links
Just a thought but this product was mentioned on another thread regarding paint removal, Stripaway. It may be worth a look.

Dec

Funnily enough I saw a bit of a program on one of the obscure Freeview channels a while back. This guy obviously had a series on making stuff with reclaimed materials, and this episode he was using some old panel doors.

He took them to some spot where they literally dunked the entire door in a tank of "something powerful" (caustic I think) for half an hour or so, and then just power washed them down - completely paint free ! IIRC the cost wasn't a lot and it saved a lot of almost impossible effort getting into nooks and crannies.

Never done it myself though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back