What's the Oldest Gas Appliance You Know Still Working?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the risk of appearing an anorak, this post re. a 40+ year old Potterton Fireside 51 got me thinking - it does happen sometimes.

//www.diynot.com/forums/plumbing/does-anyone-overhaul-gas-valves-motherwell-area.304085/

I can think of one customer who has an older gas appliance. It's an open-flued Vaillant water heater, bit like an Ascot. Must be late 60s, or very early 70s. Only other contender is a Ti Radiation Fuelsaver boiler, but this is poss late 70s.

Anyone know of anything that runs on gas, but refuses to die?

Sponsored Links
I have an Aunt who has a Parkinson Cowan Prince gas cooker... I know that it is older than I am and I was born in 1965......Both the cooker and I am in very good shape... ;)

Can't remember the model, think it was a Glowworm floor standing appliance, pre-dated the moon landings :LOL:

Recently worked on a 1969 Glowworm Galaxy Backboiler.

Sponsored Links
did a service in summer on a potterton circa 1965 that worked on a clockwork timer opening the relay valve,only 240 v was for the pump

My mother in laws boiler potterton diplomat still going strong fitted in 1957 by bg.
I gave it a good overhaul about 12 years ago.
I still look after some potterton boa's and doa's approx 50 years old.

My mother in laws boiler potterton diplomat still going strong fitted in 1957 by bg.
I gave it a good overhaul about 12 years ago.
I still look after some potterton boa's and doa's approx 50 years old.

Is Potterton a good reliable make of boiler then? :oops:

Seems there are still a number of antique gas appliances still doing their job out there.

I think Steve32's Diplomat at 54 years seems to be the oldest boiler so far. Going to be difficult to beat, unless someone knows of a pre-war New World.

Keep them coming.

OK, removing anorak now. :oops:

That Mclarey WAU was fitted on a Se-duct if that helps to score some rarity points, not sure what age as no one knew the age of the building, but im guessing 60/70. databadge long gone :unsure:

That Mclarey WAU was fitted on a Se-duct if that helps to score some rarity points, not sure what age as no one knew the age of the building, but im guessing 60/70. databadge long gone :unsure:

Yes, thanks for that Mick, and photos. Keep it simple was the name of the game for this era. Suppose they are now J and Starley?

Yes, thanks for that Mick, and photos. Keep it simple was the name of the game for this era. Suppose they are now J and Starley?
I believe J&S bought them out and they became Johnson Mclarey. There's a thread similar to this in the CC with a few more contributions and pics ;)

We have a 1961 Allied Ironfounders Commercial Gas boiler in a shop in Ipswich, still running, with the original Weepline controls and relay valves :eek:

Steve beats my non plumber nomination: a 1965 Free standing, C/F, Potterton Diplomat ( the "Dip" ).
In 1990 i was called to an 1872 large, spooky Victorian property by a very frail old lady of nearly one hundred. Her father had built the house in 1872 and the old lady had lived in it all her reclusive life. Everything was more or less from that time - no alterations. The bathroom had an astonishing old geyser water heater which i disabled as it was degraded and failing. I also wanted to cut the leccy but her nephew arrived and took over! The electrical installation was one of the earliest, for what it was worth. Also active were gas mantle holders but she no longer lit them. A few years later this wonderful document and all it's content's were demolished and skipped. Now there are modern flats on the site- redevelopement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back