Whats the problem with part P?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are a number of the seemingly more knowlegable electrical installation technicians who frequent this forum that have reservations about part P. I would appreciate it if you could post your reasons for this as I am currently studying to gain a 2381 and 2391 quals.

Sponsored Links
1: many people feel its yet more red tape for no good reason given that the number of deaths from faultly fixed wiring is pretty damn tiny.

2: many see it as pretty much unenforceable and hence putting more financial load on the legit sparks whilst not really affecting the cowboys.

3: lots of misinformation has been spread which will have the net effect of making diyers avoid fixed wiring altogether and resort to having extention leads everywhere which are a trip hazard and much more likely to be damaged.

4: its introduction has been totally botched by local building control branches.

5: the best known registration scheme (the niceic one) is set up to favor big companies and hurt sole traders.

Sponsored Links
its also a money making scheme. just like most other stuff in this country.

we have one of the safest wiring systems in the world. yet other countries dont have pointless regs like part P

Although Part P is supposed to allow DIY electrical installation, the related fees (LABC fees and cost of inspection) discourage this. The result is out of date installations missing basic safety features such as CPC in lighting circuits and RCD protection. It appears to me that the government have placed the burden of Part P on local area building control without including the necessary funding to support it.

I agee just a money making scam. If you put a new socket in the kitchen costs the house owner over £100. Who's going tp pay that. In a country of 60 million plus maybe 30 deaths if that.Talk about a hammer to crack a nut.

Tim - did you really need to resurrect a 2-year old thread in order to say something which has been said countless times already?

huepfen024.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back