What's the regulation pipe insulation in an unheated loft space?

4 Sep 2012
Reaction score
United Kingdom
As in the title - What's the required insulation under building regs for heating pipes in the unheated loft space within a residential building? I can't seem to find any clear-cut answers.
Sponsored Links
Can anyone point me to the section of the building regs that details the required water pipe insulation performance as I can't seem to find it? It would help out with a dispute. Many thanks.
Sponsored Links
It's normally under bylaw 49 legislation, which is local government/council law, as long as it's been implemented in your council area properly. Contact the local council build control and ask them
Nothing in the building regs about it, see answer #2.
I need something in writing that specifies the requirement. Building control has signed off on what I believe is non-compliant insulation. The builder says "It's fine, it's been signed off". The local authority building control has told me to complain to CICAIR, but before I do that I'd like to confirm I'm in the right.
I looked into this once when building an extension on my home and found these. One is manufacturer specific, so I guess it will change depending on the manufacturers product performance. Unfortunately I can't remember where I found the info.



DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links