What's this fitting called

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Can anyone tell me what the above is called? The tap on it has broken so I need to replace it.

Thanks

Ben

Sponsored Links
A DIY " Bodge it fitting" clamps onto the pipe and cuts a hole in the pipe to feed the (Washing Machine ?) it was probably used because the fitting is close to the solder joint

Cut it off and get rid of the solder joint, fit in a connector, piece of pipe and replace with a proper Tee and washing machine on/off valve

Last edited:
A DIY " Bodge it fitting" clamps onto the pipe and cuts a hole in the pipe to feed the (Washing Machine ?)

Cut it off and replace with a proper Tee and washing machine tap.

I thought it looked a bit strange, it's the outside tap and it is a bodge the hole around the pipe has been stuffed with an old tesco bag! Cheers

Self cutting hose connector piece of nonsense, the big sheds sell them for DIY outside taps, as you mention.

As boss mentions, undo the clamp and cut out the pierced section.

It may be easier as a DIY fix to just cut out the pierced part and slot a compression T in there, it should be just about bang on size wise. Then add in a tail of copper off the Tee and to do it right a check valve and then the W/M valve which has a 3/4" end that the white connector will fit onto.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Self cutting hose connector piece of nonsense, the big sheds sell them for DIY outside taps, as you mention.

It may be easier as a DIY fix to just cut out the pierced part and slot a compression T in there, it should be just about bang on size wise. Then add in a tail of copper off the Tee and to do it right a single check valve and then the W/M valve which has a 3/4" end that the white connector will fit onto.

Thanks for the shopping list! :)

Those things are only useful for draining down a CH system when there's no drain cock! Then replacing it with a soldered T with a drain cock!

It may be easier as a DIY fix to just cut out the pierced part and slot a compression T in there, it should be just about bang on size wise. Then add in a tail of copper off the Tee and to do it right a single check valve and then the W/M valve which has a 3/4" end that the white connector will fit onto.

Thanks for this - did exactly as you said and all sorted no leaks at all. I didn't use a single check valve though (don't know what this is) just the washing machine valve which allows me to turn it on and off still.

The previous owner of the house was definitely a bit of a bodger.....wonder what I'll stumble upon next!

Those things are only useful for draining down a CH system when there's no drain cock! Then replacing it with a soldered T with a drain cock!

I like that idea - many a time I have been in that dillemma of not having a drain and avoiding getting water everywhere - I even have one of these in my garage unused - wish I had know at the weekend when I near on flooded the kitchen.

Apologies, I said single and it should be a double, a single valve may be used on an indoor tap, an outside bib tap needs a double.

A check valve is a non return valve that stops any water that's entered the hose, flowing back into your mains cold water and contaminating it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back