What are these called - I need a new one.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What are the blue things that you put on the nuts to be able to turn them? I broken one and need to buy replacements it but I dont know what its called.

Also, is there a best way to remove one that has both handles broken? Just WD40 and pull with pliers?

I just had another look. Looks like I might have to replace the whole valve.

Thanks

Attachments

• 2023-10-23 at 16.47.11 water softner nut@2x.png
    2023-10-23 at 16.47.11 water softner [email protected]
    338.5 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Looks like a butterfly ISO valve but they look bespoke, are they from a softener or similar? A normal butterfly ISO valve will have compression ends on both, those one look like it'll have a flat service end where the pipes connect so they have flat faces that take a washer/seal.

1. The blue and black plastic items are just handles. They are normally held to the shaft of the valve by a screw.
2. If those are the inlet and bypass valves for a water softener, they may be proprietary, in which case the only place you may get them is from the softener manufacturer..
3. Otherwise, just remove the handles, and operate the shaft with a suitably sized (small) spanner.
4. With the handles attached, the valves are open when the handle is in line with the body of the valve, and closed when at right angles to it. You might wish to mark the body and shaft to show open and closed if you remove the handles.

I used a generic photo before this is the actual valves. On the bottom one one side broken a long time ago probably by a plumber and then today we broke the other side. We are doing some diy and decided to by pass it and will disconnect it soon (and clean everything) - its a water softener connection. The broken one was hard to turn so we 'gently' used a hammer and mallet but at the end it gave way.

Attachments

• IMG_3064.jpeg
    IMG_3064.jpeg
    441.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3063.jpeg
    IMG_3063.jpeg
    334.5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The spindle is probably square. An ordinary spanner will work for a while, but will round it off.

I have a square spanner, I think it was made for brake adjusters on old cars. It is probably 1/4" and 3/8"

My valves have metal T-handles. It might be worth buying one to see if the handle will fit (see link)

If you have to buy new ones, I find the Pegler very good, and prefer the "full bore" ones which allow a better flow.

The spindle is probably square. An ordinary spanner will work for a while, but will round it off.

I have a square spanner, I think it was made for brake adjusters on old cars. It is probably 1/4" and 3/8"

My valves have metal T-handles. It might be worth buying one to see if the handle will fit (see link)

If you have to buy new ones, I find the Pegler very good, and prefer the "full bore" ones which allow a better flow.

I was looking at the same pegler - I remember a plumber saying they were a good brand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back