Whats this for ?

7 Nov 2005
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I've noticed that there is a short length of 15mm pipework complete with gate valve connecting the 28mm flow & return pipes. I would be grateful if someone could explain what this is for and should the valve be open or closed ?
Sponsored Links
valve is used to maintain a constant differential pressure in a heating system. It reduces flow noise in a system, particularly as thermostatic radiator valves are closed.

The boiler return temperature is raised and this reduces corrosion caused by flue gas condensation. In addition, when radiator valves are closed it also maintains flow over the temperature sensor on the boiler to ensure proper operation of external temperature compensation controls.

On gas-fired water heaters it guarantees a minimum flow circulation when thermostats or radiator valves are closed.
Sponsored Links
surfrider said:
Please could you explain more

:rolleyes: Its meant to give a constant flow through the system should all other ports be closed.
Sorry to contiune with this, but in simple terms how do I know when it's set correctly ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links