Whats this noise? (Youtube Link)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks

Baxi Bermuda 50/4 Back Boiler
Gravity Hot water (with injector tee)
Pumped CH

I recently retro fitted a pump over run circuit to my heating system as the pump immediately turning off along with the boiler was causing the boiler to Kettle. As a direct consequence I was only able to have the boiler stat at the lowest heat setting (rads in region of 50deg) which meant the house was slow to warm up. Now that I have 30 seconds of continued pumping after the boiler shuts off I can now have the rads much hotter and the banging noise is now gone completely. I have chosen a rad temp of 70deg which now heats the house up nicely (position 2 on the boiser stat). The majority of the rads don't have fins on the back hence why I feel a hotter temp is required to radiate the heat out to the rooms better.

Anyway...

When the radiator temp nears the 70 degree mark I get this whistling noise coming from the boiler. Any ideas what it is?

PS turn up your speakers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeQb7rpEPRI[/url]

Sponsored Links
Corrosion on the internal surfaces allows air pockets to form causing "Kettleing".
Years ago we were advised by one of the solid fuel manufacturers to add "Soluble cutting oil" to the system to cure it.
Apparently it caused a scum to form on the boiler surfaces which cured the problem.

Sponsored Links
Corrosion on the internal surfaces allows air pockets to form causing "Kettleing".
Years ago we were advised by one of the solid fuel manufacturers to add "Soluble cutting oil" to the system to cure it.
Apparently it caused a scum to form on the boiler surfaces which cured the problem.

is that what is causing the hissing noise as well as kettleing?

Add system silencer to your system water. Noisy bbu heat exchangers are commonplace. Fernox or Sentinel make these products. Best method is to drain a rad and use a funnel to add it to the top of the rad after removing the top plug.

Add system silencer to your system water. Noisy bbu heat exchangers are commonplace. Fernox or Sentinel make these products. Best method is to drain a rad and use a funnel to add it to the top of the rad after removing the top plug.

Done that, two bottles of x200 a few weeks ago.

Replacing 5 old rads in summer so will be draining/flushing then.

Certainly the retro fit pump over run is working out brilliantly.

Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back