What's this thing called? (Ed: Multipoint lock part)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, this might be a really silly question, so I apologise in advance. Our ERA multipoint lock on our front door has started to cause us problems.
Thought it might be the gearbox that was stopping us using the mortice bolt part of the door but I can see how silly that is now I've taken it apart to replace that bit.

All it is is that the mortice lock part of the mechanism needs swapping out as the keys aren't always able to open the lock.

I have taken the box out so we're using the cylinder exclusively, but want to know what I would search or ask for to replace the mortice key component. Box is 50x90mm and 15mm deep.

Attachments

• 20230909_091536.jpg
    20230909_091536.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 20230909_091600.jpg
    20230909_091600.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 88
Sponsored Links
Thanks, this isn't the gearbox though. It's completely independent of the handle and cylinder. The box I have taken off has no branding on it at all.

You can try lubricating it. Give it extra amount of wd40 in all openings including the key hole, shake it about, juggle with key, and more WD40. Units that can be completely disassembled are usually fixable. Yours looks riveted. If you get nowhere and all hope is lost, boil it in water, dry, and then lube again. Locks usually fail from accumulation of dirt.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, will try that. Worst comes to worst though.. are we thinking this completely replaceable and easily removed part is only sold as a complete lock system? Does it even have a name? Integrated inline multipoint deadlock or something. Again, your help is very much appreciated

Ask your door supplier or look for identification numbers on it. If you have the numbers, you won't need the name.

Thanks again, the cassette has no branding, no numbers, no identification of any type. Does make me feel a little better though knowing that I'm not alone in being unable to name the part. Haha

Thanks again, the cassette has no branding, no numbers, no identification of any type. Does make me feel a little better though knowing that I'm not alone in being unable to name the part. Haha
So how do you know it’s ERA?

I suppose it is an ERA Vectis, with the 5-lever lock.

Can you puzzle it out on here?

If not, ask ERA.

If worn, or to "change the key" you can usually buy a replacement pack of levers and keys, it would be a locksmiths service part, but not difficult, provided you take detailed photos during disassembly

IME it is usually the keys that are worn, damaged, or inaccurately copied, not the levers that are at fault. In these cases the key often works from the inside but not the outside.

Example lever

1694264189722.png

Last edited:
Here's one

Last edited:
The ERA Vectis uses a 5 lever key in the main gearbox, the OPs uses a euro cylinder so not a Vectis
I looked at the photo he posted.

1694285540326.png

What does if look like to you?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back