Mortice lock replacement that is lockable from outside.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have spent ages trying to find out what the name of this lock is (deadlock, deadbolt, mortice bolt) and it seems that the correct term is a mortice bolt, like this:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/era-mortice-bolt-kit/8043t

The locks are both very old and need replacing.

I was wondering whether, for added security, there might be a straight replacement that allows them to be locked from both the inside and outside.

Sponsored Links
No, there isn't, but there may be a different solution.

please supply some photos of your existing lock. Inside, outside, and door edge. There must be a proper lock. The thing in your link is not a lock, it is a bolt intended to supplement a lock. There are some key-operated devices of similar size, but they are cheap rubbish and not secure.

Accurately measure the distance from the edge of the door to the centre of the keyhole.

Confirm if the door is plastic or wood.

Is this for your "final exit door" i.e. the one you go through when leaving the house (often the front door)?

Last edited:
Don't all those use common keys though? I had one just like that and a screwdriver would unlock it. I only used in in the house to stop the kids getting into an office.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back