What's this thing called? (Edit: a Hush Latch)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some kind of autoclose latch?
I've got a flat and i think for fire safety interior doors are fitted with auto closers and these things. I'm wondering if there is something better? i find they rattle in the wind.

Screenshot 2022-11-10 at 13.51.41.png

Sponsored Links
I have no idea but....
could it be an anti slam device to stop doors echoing around the building?
it looks as if there is a fore and aft adjustment? Would that stop rattle?

Door closers are normally on the hinge side, unless top mounted

Thanks for the quick reply. There is a closer chain in the hinge. There is a handle operated latch on the door.
The positioning is quite fixed. I'd have to drill new holes for fore and aft. I find it doesn't really stop slamming. I'm thinking about installing a normal recessed catch. Auto closing isn't a priority to me. I'm actually trying to stop slamming. Annoying that i have to circumvent fire safety.

Sponsored Links
Well I didn't know that

"
  • A hush latch is a modified striking plate, recessed into the door frame for use with a standard mortice latch or lock. It is designed to minimise the resistance standard latch bolts often encounter when they make contact with a traditional strike plate.
  • Overall outer dimensions - 65 x 40mm.
  • Supplied with fixings and instructions.
  • Supplied in a electro brass plated finish.

Perhaps fitted so the closer didn't have to slam the door so hard.

You could try a new one, perhaps it is worn out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back