What's this wire?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I'm digging my fottings for my front wall and i've come across this wire next to the BT wire..................anyone know what it is?..................is it a pulling wire?

Andy

Sponsored Links
I thought the white wire was a BT wire?

I didn't know that you can get an armoured BT wire?

Andy

Sponsored Links
Ref: Garymo

The cable comes from the street/pavement and goes towards the house and there are no garden lights.

Andy

The armoured one looks original, its a bit odd seeing a white indoor grade telephone cable buried unprotected. Id make a guess that the armoured one has failed at some point and been replaced by the white one.

Can you see where your telephone cables enter the house? usually via an external junction box. If you can only see one of the cables, have a gentle dig around for the other one

The front footings are approx. 6metres away from the house. The house has concrete floors. So if this is a phone line then it is not used as we are connected to a Virgin Cable line.

So I take it, it must be an old redundant cable? It just looked too new.

Andy

its not your cable tv then is it? That service is always delivered using two cables, often joined together. Not seen them looking like that though.

That could well be coax and a phone line from Virgin, then. The use of indoor phone cable is fairly typical of the quality you can expect from them..

another giveaway for it being cable tv would be the depth that its buried at, about 3" is usual :)

Hi
I' just taken more pics.

As you see the first pic is showing the Virgin cable in the green sleeving above the other cable. I have Virgin put in last year.

The second pic is from pavement to house.

Andy

Odd. Track it back and see where they enter the house, and what they're connected to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back