what's up with asphalt?

F

faycat

Hi

We wanted to use some self adhesive vinyl floor tiles in our utility room but the floor is asphalt and on the tiles at Wickes it says we can't put them on asphalt [???]

Any advice/suggestions? The floor surface is very small 1.5 X 1.5m maximum, so dont' want to go to much trouble. Don't really want to do anything that involves a lot of faffing about.

Any genius ideas?

Thanks
Fay

:)

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for the reply. Does this stuff needs putting over the whole floor and then leaving to dry? Do I need expert skills in smoothing it all out or does it soak into the asphalt?

Any tips gratefully received! :D

your basically putting a 3mm layer of concrete over the top. It will need about 24hrs to dry.

Is it hard to use? Well no if you your good at this sort of thing and yes if your not so good! Can you plaster? Basically the same.

Read the sticky at the top of the forum.

Sponsored Links
OK. Thanks very much for all the info, but I definitely won't be laying any concrete!!

I take it there are no easier options?? DIY is NOT my speciality!! :LOL:

you can lay onto a 'isolator membrane underlay' but you will find this very hard to get hold of. Im in the trade and use miles of it but is still hard to get hold of for myself. Plus you have to buy as a roll that is a few hundred quid. I would say i would sell you some, but it comes 2meter wide so is going to be a problem posting etc!

Still the subfloor needs to be smooth and flat.

Would I need to do all this if I went with lino?? Or with proper tiles?

Are there any kinds of carpets suitable for a laundry room??

I really appreciate the time you are taking to answer my questions. :)

you should lay a smoothing compound before installing any floor covering.

When i said concrete, its more like plaster really.

Hi again!

Been doing a bit of research on the net [not doubting the wisdom of your words but desperately looking for a simpler solution!] and I came across a product called "BAL Supercover Rapidset".

It seems to be saying that I could use this to stick vinyl to asphalt????

Has anyone ever used this product and would it work?

Thanks.... :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back