What's up with my boiler and heating?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps. My heating boiler is a Gloworm Ultracom 30cxi. I put it on the other day, set the timers (techy enough in itself!!) and waited. The rads warm nicely but the boiler never stops running. In other houses, it stops when the house is warm and goes on again when the place cools. This is on all the time, it gurgles and whistles...and scares me silly. Also the book says the range is 38 degrees C to 82 degrees C. It says C on the display too. My old one was set on 20 degrees C and thats fine. I thought they meant degrees F but it defo says C. Whats that about? Also, when its on hot water only it keeps firing up for a minute or so every now and then. I've contacted the landlord but no reply yet. Would be nice if I could say something intelligent to him raher than it doesn't work. Thanks for any help. x

Sponsored Links
38 to 82 degrees boiler temp, not room temp; turn your roomstat back to 19, and it will stop soon enough

Thanks for your reply....but I'm still lost. The book says thats the central heating temp range. Also there is no room thermostat. At least I have searched the flat and not found one. It s new-fangled digial boiler, does that make a difference? Tells me how to set the water temp and then the CH temp.

It looks like your landlord may have had the boiler installed illegally, roomstats have been compulsory for a while now.
Did he give you a gas safety certificate?

Without a roomstat, you can not set the room temperature.

Sponsored Links
Oh dear. Then I hope I'm being a plank and cant find it. Although if this flat were any smaller, it would be a bedsit.....

Many thanks for your help, I will speak to the landlord.

Cheers

Don't let him bluff you, he must give you a copy of the certificate, and it must be dated no later than the day you moved in, failing to do so is criminal offense. The reason landlords must get one is to prove that the place is safe, and stops them from having the gas done by cowboys and putting you at risk. The last edition of the gas installers magazine had an example of a really dodgy landlord who failed to improve a dangerous situation. He didn't get just a fine, which is normal, and can be hefty, he actually was jailed.
Your heating installation is not correct, it could just be sloppy, it could also be dangerous.
If you have any doubts, the GSR people will send an inspector free of charge to verify that all is ok.

Thanks so much for your advice and information. I won't loook so much of a plank now, being female and living alone means I usually get walked over a fair bit.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back