Gas CH boiler - water dripping from main gas burner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just put on a gas central heating boiler after about a year being unused. There is a constant drip of water from the main gas burner assembly when the gas is lit and it does not seem to get less as things warm up. It is obviousely condensate (its 2 degrees C outside) but it will rot the boiler casing if not stopped. Boiler running very well otherwise. Very puzzled by this!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Good idea, tks. Cannot however see a water flow from the heat exchanger onto/into the burner tube. If it were a cracked heat exchanger then the high heat would reduce the leak by expanding the iron and closing any crack.

Will switch off and look closely again at the heat exchanger as it cools.

Yes it will be, they split at the front where all the fins have started fraying.

I am surprised that no one has pointed out that water dripping onto a gas burner is classed as IMMEDIATELY DANGEROUS !!!

Us CORGIs have to turn it off and issue a warning notice!

Householders can blow them self up!

Tony

Have found the problem - a weep at the LHS of the heat exchanger where the sealant between the two halves finishes. Have sealed the spot with Gun Gum and if that does not work then its a new boiler I guess!

If it is a new boiler then what is a good replacement (5 radiators and hot-water)?

Edit: Thanks Tony, your warning is appreciated :)

you can buy internal seals for this boiler, its a messy job but if thats all thats wrong it can be fixed. On the other hand its not as efficient as a condenser . :LOL:

As advised above the HE can be taken apart and resealed.

I presume that there are some bigish nuts holding the sides together. You may find re torqueing them may help.

I thought gungum was for car exhausts?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back