What's wrong with badly laid fake grass?

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got black weed protection liner over a patch that is 2m x 4.5m. Below is sand and soil. (The sand was left over by builders. Can't remove easily.).

What would happen if I bought fake grass and just put it on top!?
This patch we don't really do anything - it's not walked on.
The missus has planter boxes on top that she grows things in.

I've looked up I stalling fake grass. It's fairly straightforward. But 1 days hard labour work for me ‍‍
I'm being lazy.

What's the worst that can happen if I buy fake grass and just lay down and hold in the corners with pegs?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It'll be fine. Weeds will likely appear on the best laid artificial grass as dirt and seeds will land on it and grow.
I bought a piece for £120 for my "patio" and 4 years on it is still doing great - was put on flattish sand with weed membrane, over dirt.

• Thanks
Reactions: OM2
I'm sure I've seen people do this. If it's not being used then treating it as external carpet seems quite reasonable. You might want to find a way to clean it to avoid the weeds.

• Thanks
Reactions: OM2
Not had to clean mine. 4 years old, done nothing other than sweep it once this year. I just spread leftover sand on it, flattened with a bit of wood, and put the grass down on top of weed barrier. If you're not walking on it all the time, even less to worry about.

IMG_20220617_144922966_HDR.jpg

Sponsored Links
Oh...
I was expecting lectures on what I was proposing to do to be utter madness
Thanks guys!
I'll be off to Homebase tmrw! I saw a good bargain 2 weeks ago (I would normally never shop there normally!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back