What's wrong with my boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a boiler in the garage with a hot water storage tank in an upstairs cupboard. New build house, so the system is only 2 years old and has never been bled before.

A couple of our radiators weren't heating up properly so I bled all the radiators in the house (let them get hot, turned heating off, then bled). Most had no air in them, a couple had a bit of air (and are now heating up much better), but one radiator upstairs has a seemingly endless supply of air in it!
It's bubbling out very slowly, but even so I have sat and waited for about 2 hours so far and it's still going! The bottom of the radiator does get hot now, but about 70% of it is still cold. So much air has bled out of this radiator that I'm starting to suspect it must be getting sucked in from somewhere else as I'm bleeding it - there's no way one radiator can hold that much!

In addition to this, sometimes when the heating first comes on in the morning you can hear loads of bubbles going through the storage tank upstairs. I think this is quite a recent issue.

Do we need a plumber or is there anything I can try to do myself?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you have a sealed system and have ran out of pressure to completely fill the system. Have a look in the airing cupboard or near the boiler for a pressure gauge and a silver braided hose with taps to put water back into the system.

I had that in our old house with a combi boiler. Haven't seen anything like that this time, but I'll look again. Thanks :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back