Wheel balancing and alignment.

And would flop about in the battery tray like a prick in a bucket…..

All of the battery trays I have come across, have some built in adjustment for battery model differences. My present battery is one size larger than the official largest size which is supposed to fit. It has the same footprint, but is around 3/4" taller, which just allows the top case to fit. I think the original spec. only allowed for a battery style where the lugs were the highest point, whereas the battery I have now has the lugs set below the top of the battery.

Sponsored Links
Not all can adjust in height. An mdf shim worked for me.

You maybe misunderstood - Other than the strap and buckle type, I have never come across one which was height adjustable, only ones where they had a clamp and bolt, with several threaded sockets for the bolt to allow different battery lengths to be clamped down.

You maybe misunderstood - Other than the strap and buckle type, I have never come across one which was height adjustable, only ones where they had a clamp and bolt, with several threaded sockets for the bolt to allow different battery lengths to be clamped down.
The clamping on the base ridge type can be auto-adjusted in height by as much as the available space.

Sponsored Links
The clamping on the base ridge type can be auto-adjusted in height by as much as the available space.

The clamp bolt on my battery, was so difficult to start in the thread hole, with such a narrow gap between end of battery and inside of the case - when I had a few spare minutes, I welded a bit of rod onto the bolt, plus welding a nut on the upper end of the rod. Result, much easier.

The clamp bolt on my battery, was so difficult to start in the thread hole, with such a narrow gap between end of battery and inside of the case - when I had a few spare minutes, I welded a bit of rod onto the bolt, plus welding a nut on the upper end of the rod. Result, much easier.
Or you could use socket + extension + sticky tape.

Cars that have smart charging systems have a battery that needs to be coded to the car - do check as systems will fail if you don’t.
John

Is it REALLY so hard to just buy the right sized battery for the car???!

Not a concept I'm familar with... do I need a bigger bucket, I wonder? ;)
Keep wondering, with your lack of experience with cars, everything seems like a total mystery. In a multi-car scenario, there are benefits to harmonising the battery sizes. In a special deals scenario, there are benefits when buying what is available rather than what the car manual says. In a new battery technology scenario, a smaller battery offers the same or better benefits of a big battery while still being light and small. Being small and light gives greater motor racing potentials, but I wouldn't expect you to know anything about that. When you have a a better understanding of things, the whole world opens up with possibilities.

Keep wondering, with your lack of experience with cars, everything seems like a total mystery. In a multi-car scenario, there are benefits to harmonising the battery sizes. In a special deals scenario, there are benefits when buying what is available rather than what the car manual says. In a new battery technology scenario, a smaller battery offers the same or better benefits of a big battery while still being light and small. Being small and light gives greater motor racing potentials, but I wouldn't expect you to know anything about that. When you have a a better understanding of things, the whole world opens up with possibilities.

Shhhhh! The grownups are talking...

They use dry cell batteries for racing, don’t they?

They use a variety of battery types - Li-ion are good because of the energy density. I look forward to seeing Whackjob's Micra on the grid at Le Mans... ;)

Sponsored Links
Back