Wheel siezed on!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got the wheel nuts off but cant shift the wheel, any tips?? I've kicked it and nearly broke me bloody ankle!!

Sponsored Links
Leave at least one nut on loose, from underneath use a piece of 4x4 timber to hit the back of the tyre outwards. The timber can be any length you prefer, the longer the better. A fence post would be ideal.

Do a "shake test" on the car first to ensure its stable on the jack, and don't go underneath.

yes, as Mursal says. Probably the middle of the wheel has seized onto the hub or drum. You can actually leave several nuts still on, as long as there is enough slack for the wheel to move out 5-10mm when you hit it. Leaving the nuts in place will prevent the wheel coming off or skewing sideways if the car should fall off the jack when you hit it. It is very important that you are not in a position where you could be trapped or injured if the car falls.

If necessary you can hit the wheel with a large hammer, but interpose a block of wood to avoid damaging the wheel.

I don't know if it would prevent this happening again if you were to put Copaslip or something on the sticking points when you see them. It must not get near the brakes.

Sponsored Links
I have unstuck one or two in the past by hitting the inside of the tyre with a heavy lump hammer, the other way would be to slacken all the wheel nuts a little and drive it a few yards.

Peter

I had the same problem with the alloy stuck on.
I tried a slightly different approach as I didn’t have anything decent to hit the wheel from the other side of the car so ended up levering it off.
I will state that it is not the best method and comes with its own risks of damage.
Did have a ½” metal pipe lying around and used some wooden packing to prevent damage to the alloy, managed to get the pipe in and lever, with the lever jammed up against the brake disc (yikes!). Tried to make sure the lever was as close to the centre of the disc, the edge may have given way. Obviously this will depend upon alloy design. A few tries later at different places around the wheel and it came unstuck. Was about to give up as it wasn’t budging and didn’t want to go crazy with the amount of effort that was going into it.
Did also generously spray some WD40 between the wheel and hub and into the wheel bolt area.
An option when the car is lifted is to sit it down on some big blocks of wood, possibly cut from a railway sleeper, this may give a more stable platform.
As mentioned you could loosen the bolts a few turns and drive the car, not at crazy speeds though, giving it some sharp braking.

They are alloys not steel. Thanks for replies people, will give it a bash later. ;)

Are the wheels held on by bolts or nuts?
If it's bolts, you can often break it away by removing all the bolts, putting the car in gear, and slowly releasing the clutch.
You'll have to have the body of the car supported in a way that the car can't fall if the wheel falls off.
Or just get behind it with an FBH and some elbow grease.

I very much like the idea of slackening the nuts a couple of turns, and rolling the car back and forth slightly. Once the nuts are out of the dishes, the wheel will move slightly.

They are held on with bolts. Got a guy at the local tyre place to bust his nuts and remove them for me today.

:LOL: @ stivino.
Thanks guys.
ps; mating faces were wire brushed and treated to a smearing of coppaslip. ;)

had this recently with a landrover. tried allsorts, belting with a hammer, pouring boiling water over the wheel (apparently this usually works), kicking, praying etc. In the end someone suggested that I slacken the wheel nuts SLIGHTLY, take it for a drive and do an emergencey stop at bout 20mph, then try and remove the wheel. I did this down a farm track next to my house, and when I got it home the wheel came off after a few good kicks

Sponsored Links
Back