can't get steering wheel off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
some scumbag broke in to my car and snapped the steering wheel off when trying to brake the steering lock, went to scrap yard, but when i took the steering wheel nut off the one behind the horn holding the wheel to the column, i couldn't get the wheel off. The scrap yard owner told me to rive it off but this did'nt work, Internet search states the use of a puller. Is this right, or is there another way, really don't want to by a tool for one job.
Any help please.

Sponsored Links
I remeber years ago I took one off, they are on splines, you need to get it off square, a little twisted & it will jam. Why dont you try asking a body shop if they would pull it for you, may do it for a few ££

Puller is best, but you probably won't have one to hand. So, if you're going to hammer it off, keep the nut on a couple of threads until you've broke the wheel away. Because it just might fly off and smash you in the face, I've seen in happen.

Stivino said:
Puller is best, but you probably won't have one to hand. So, if you're going to hammer it off, keep the nut on a couple of threads until you've broke the wheel away. Because it just might fly off and smash you in the face, I've seen in happen.

cheers, but whats the best way to take a hammer to it.

Sponsored Links
as stivino says, hit it with the nut on, big rubber hammer, push yer seat back, two hands on the hammer and whack the wheel seriously hard, anywhere and every where, from above and below, STRESS.........keep the nut on, slack,

borrowed a draper puller for vauxhall/opal. come straight off, cool piece of kit, but i snapped the end off one of the arms though, so i'm going to have to buy a new one, internet state about £15 £20, still cheaper than going to the Reg Vardy (vauxhall dealer) for a new steering wheel.
thanks for all the replies, i would be still there if i took the advice of the scrap yard fool who says rive it off with crow bar,
wheel cost £10 + the cost of a new puller.
cheers.

Sponsored Links
Back