Removing wheel locknuts without proper tool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought a car but the brakes need done.

Went to take off the wheels and there is a lock nut on each wheel .

They are round with 3 holes in them.

I dont have the tool to remove them . :cry:

How do i get them off ??

Sponsored Links
If the wheels were factory fitted, you will be able to purchase from the manufacture, you may need vehicle details as some cars have many different types.

Can you contact the previous owner (named on the V5) to see whether they mistakenly kept hold of the key?

If you don't locate the key, you can get them off but it will cost you four sockets.hammer the socket on and you should get them off.works for me.
Don't use expensive or cheap sockets,try middle of the road stuff like Draper.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Sponsored Links
jonnyfishing said:
If you don't locate the key, you can get them off but it will cost you four sockets.hammer the socket on and you should get them off.works for me.
Don't use expensive or cheap sockets,try middle of the road stuff like Draper.

And the impact type sockets will take a better hammering

Bigdek

If you try the "hammer and socket" routine and it works for you(as it has for me on many occasions).Please post result here and Keyplayer can remove the builders merchant number from his mechanics diary ;)

Sorry jonnyfishing, I wasn't criticizing your advice, indeed it's excellent advice. The bricks I mentioned were for sitting the car on after the wheels have been removed. A joke, albeit a poor one! Years ago, I woke up to find a car of mine sitting on bricks minus the alloy wheels, which had a set of locking nuts on them. I wasn't suggesting he hammer the sockets on with a brick!

Drive to Liverpool, park, walk to nearest pub, drink pint, buy wheels back of scouser who walks in 5 minutes after you. :p

post locked to prevent hi jacking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back