Fiesta 2013 remove alloy wheels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do this wheel nuts have covers on.
The user manual dosnt say.
I can remove the Locking nut, but cant get the others off.
If they have covers how do you remove them, Google dosnt seem that clear.

Sponsored Links
Not an actual cover but a chrome finish cover which should be no bigger on the outside than a 19mm nut. Sometimes they corrode underneath the chrome nut covers and swell up a bit. You’ll either have to get a 20mm socket on them or hammer the 19mm socket on to loosen them but don’t tap it on too far otherwise you won’t get it off! Once loosened, leave the nut on the thread, put an extension in the socket and wiggle and pull to get the socket off. Repeat!

They have pressed metal covers on them when they are new. Don't try to remove the pressed metal covers, as John says above put a 19mm socket on the cover and undo the nut. Some tyre places manage to destroy the covers with their air guns in which case an 18mm socket should fit if the cover has completely gone.

Sponsored Links
They use a gadget like a pair of U shaped tongs, where the end is hooked over to hook onto the cover to pull them off.

Sorted.
I measured them with Vernier calliper's, 19.00 to 19.20.
One wheel was all 19, so I could remove all the nuts. The other wheels I have forced a 19mm socket on using a mallet & removed the nuts. What crap If I had been out & got a puncture I would need a breakdown company to sort it.
I have ordered & now received new nuts. I had to buy more than I required, but peace of mind now knowing I can change a wheel.

Sorted.
I measured them with Vernier calliper's, 19.00 to 19.20.
One wheel was all 19, so I could remove all the nuts. The other wheels I have forced a 19mm socket on using a mallet & removed the nuts. What crap If I had been out & got a puncture I would need a breakdown company to sort it.
I have ordered & now received new nuts. I had to buy more than I required, but peace of mind now knowing I can change a wheel.

My days of changing wheels at the roadside are over, other than instances where time could be really important. Breakdown cover is invaluable to me, even though rarely used over the years.
Interestingly the wheel nuts on my old Range Rover have what appears to be a stainless steel covering. The original wheel brace (or a 1/2 inch drive socket for the breaker-bar I carry) fits, but is tight on some of them.
To think I used to change wheels on heavy trucks in the days when punctures were a fairly common occurrence ...'oh the joys of youth :whistle:

We went to a local tyre garage, he said he didn't recommend change the front to rear...Strange that Ford advise it so do tyre manufacturer's, that is the reason I undertook the job.
Now all done.

We went to a local tyre garage, he said he didn't recommend change the front to rear...Strange that Ford advise it so do tyre manufacturer's, that is the reason I undertook the job.
Now all done.

I take it you won't be recommending them :rolleyes:
What is not advised is changing the direction of rotation, ie swapping wheels side to side.

Now all done.

It's so you always have the most grip on the driving and turning wheels, and that all 4 wheels wear at a similar rate.

Personally I don't see the point.

Last edited:
It's so you always have the most grip on the driving and turning wheels, and that all 4 wheels where at a similar rate.

Personally I don't see the point.

I've often wondered the same, replace two tyres at the same time or cover more miles & replace all four. What really p..... me off is when you have to replace just one due to irreparable damage & cannot get a match for the others on the car.

I have been told by several tyre fitters that on a FWD car, if you have a new pair, they should go on the rear.

Sponsored Links
Back