when and how do i bleed my pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The hot water from my boiler is making its way up the cold feed pipe into the c/h f+e tank causing it to overflow, the f+e pipes are just before the pump....ive tried everything but the only thing left to do is bleed the pump itself

do you do it when the pump is going or when its off.
do i do it with the system hot or cold
how do i do it, is there a valve or do i release the big silver screw.

mike

Sponsored Links
if your tank is overflowing then theres too much water in the system. either your ball valve is letting by worse a problem with you hotwater cylinder

ball cock is fine and the f/e tank only supplies the heating circuit, there is a larger cold water storage tank for the cylinder water.....if there was a problem with the cylinder then wouldn't it be the cold water tank that would overflow ?

Sponsored Links
turn the mains supply off to your heating tank. drain out excess. what happens does the water level rise?

is your big tank higher than the f+e tank

The vent pipe from your heating system is emptying into your small expansion tank in loft, is that correct? System blocked may need a powerflush.

mgally said:
The hot water from my boiler is making its way up the cold feed pipe into the c/h f+e tank causing it to overflow
Not up the vent pipe, according to the OP.

He sounds as if he knows what he's talking about, apart from stuff about bleeding pump.

What height is the cold feed tank to the hot water cyclinder in relation to the CH header tank?

Does the hot water rise up the feed pipe all the time or only when hte pump is running?

chrishutt said:
What height is the cold feed tank to the hot water cyclinder in relation to the CH header tank?

Who cares? if the were was a problem regarding header height Blah..Blah..surely the prob would have occurred earlier? It`s a blockage.

As rob884 indicated above, it could be a leak through the cyclinder coil, if the DHW feed tank is higher than the CH header tank. My money's on that explanation.

The OP does say that the pump is just after the F&E pipe connection (as one would expect), so how would pumping up the F&E pipe occur?

chrishutt said:
As rob884 indicated above, it could be a leak through the cyclinder coil, if the DHW feed tank is higher than the CH header tank. My money's on that explanation.

The OP does say that the pump is just after the F&E pipe connection (as one would expect), so how would pumping up the F&E pipe occur?

Leak in coil would be indicated by brown water at hot taps, I`m not challenging your opinion, just giving mine.

But it's a leak from the DHW cylinder into the coil and CH system, not vice versa.

Bamber gaspipe said:
chrishutt said:

Leak in coil would be indicated by brown water at hot taps, I`m not challenging your opinion, just giving mine.

this is all down to tank heights. this is the reason why the cwsc should always be higher to the f+e to prevent brown water at the taps

chrishutt said:
But it's a leak from the DHW cylinder into the coil and CH system, not vice versa.

Thats your explanation then is it...the Hot water tank is leaking into the coil thus causing the f&e to overflow?.. I`m happy with that. :rolleyes: a damaged coil would still be indicated by discolouration at Hot taps, if the cylinder can leak in..what will stop coil from leaking out?

Bamber gaspipe said:
chrishutt said:

what will stop coil from leaking out?

rob884 said:
this is all down to tank heights. this is the reason why the cwsc should always be higher to the f+e to prevent brown water at the taps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back